Monday, December 30, 2013

Sugar cookies!











This weekend was the last weekend I'll be teaching my class in Sunday school. At the beginning of the year I'll have new batch (pun intended) of 8-9 year olds. So to say goodbye and show them some love, I made them sugar cookies. Something to remind them who the best Sunday school teachers  are in the world. That would be Josh and I, if you didn't catch that.

I used THIS recipe that I found on Pinterest. I've tried so many sugar cookie recipes on there and I have to say this one is my favorite!! It was so simple and only really tastes good with frosting on them. So of course I frosted them with my own Buttercream frosting recipe.. which is really my mom's recipe... anywho, here it is.
1 stick of butter Softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon milk (If needed)

-First add butter into mixer and mix until fluffy
-Second add powdered sugar until completely mixed
-Third and possibly last? Add teaspoon of vanilla
-Fourth... if needed add a teaspoon of milk at a time until consistency of frosting is to your liking. If your frosting is perfect before the milk... don't add any.

I made a double batch of the cookie dough and frosting just to make sure I had enough cookies for my class.
Once you make the dough, you are supposed to refrigerate it for an hour. So I did. After words I started rolling it. Normally you'd roll the dough with flour, flour and more flour.
Instead of doing that and frustrating myself with dough somehow still sticking to the roller... I kept the dough in the plastic rap.
I made it wrapped a little looser though to make sure it has room to flatten out.
Seriously if that is all you get out of my post today... That is fine by me. This is way better than using tons of flour trying to make the dough not stick to your roller. It worked like a dream.
 
I used two different cookie cutters, a heart, and a shield. The cookie cutter were pretty big so I'm sure you can get a lot more cookies out of your dough than me if you use a smaller cutter.
This is how thick I made them... I cooked them for about 7 minutes.
Here is the shield.
This is the frosting I used, got it from Target.
My husband suggested green for the shield... so I decided green works good enough for me.
Now, don't critique my skills of frosting and writing letters on my cookies. Neither are done very well...
 
I found this nifty little froster guy at Walmart for like 2$. It's what I used to write the letters.

I chose CTR for Choose the Right
 

No comments:

Post a Comment